We all wish of having a flawless, glowing skin. Not everyone is blessed with a naturally clear & smooth skin, most of us face one problem or the other. It can be either acne, breakouts, dryness, blackheads, whiteheads or blemishes. And many of us end up spending lot of money on skincare products, treatments or makeup products to get that perfect looking skin.
These are factors that can cause skin problems, it can be either or combination of following factors.
- Unhealthy eating habits
- Pollution & dirt
- Hormonal imbalance
- Poor hygiene
- Wrong/ unsuitable skin products
Your skin reflects your health, so to achieve a flawless & glowing skin, along with external treatments or care you need to make changes in your lifestyle. And with such lifestyle changes you can adopt a good skincare routine which will boost the chances of getting that perfect looking skin.
Best skin care routine
Having a good skincare routine is the best thing you can do for your skin. It does not matter if you want a good skin or you have it, taking care of your skin is a must for everybody. So what is that routine? It’s our good old skincare routine
(And there are some new ones. if you are a pro, you know them)
- Face mask
I will not suggest you to follow this routine every day. Your everyday routine will be shorter but effective one.
But before I tell you about the daily skincare routine you can follow, you need to know what your skin type is. Different skin types are prone to different problems and hence need different solutions or the skincare routine in this case.
Broadly there are 4 skin types
- Normal skin– Not so oily, not so dry. Fine skin with no visible pores. Soft & smooth texture, no blemishes. So to summarize, this is the kind of skin type we all desire.
- Dry skin– Rough, dry, pale, dull skin which feels tight, stretchy, flaky.
- Oily skin– Shiny skin with large pores, thick skin texture. Prone to acne, blackheads & whiteheads.
- Combination skin– it’s a combination of dry & oily skin. It has oily T-zone (forehead and nose area) & normal to dry cheeks.
Now as you know what your skin type is, you can select products and procedures that are suitable for your skin type. And now you are ready for your
Daily skincare routine
Morning time- (most busy time for everyone)
- Cleansing– Face cleansing is the most important step for good skin. Cleansing takes the dirt, pollution & excess oil out of your skin and make it breathable by unclogging your skin pores. (It does not matter if pores on your skin are visible or not) Skipping this step is a complete No-No. You just need to use a right face cleanser as per your skin type and wash your face with that as you normally wash & you are all set.
- Moisturizing– It does not matter if you have oily skin or dry skin, applying moisturiser after cleansing your face is a must. Moisturizing your skin locks the essential face oils into your skin by creating a barrier between your skin & harmful elements in environment. But don’t forget to purchase the right moisturizer as per your skin type. For example- People with oily skin should go for oil free moisturizer or the water based moisturizer.
- Sunscreen– This will be your last step in the morning skincare routine. There is always a debate about using sunscreen. Some people are of the opinion that sunscreen creates vitamin D deficiency and some people say, not applying sunscreen can cause harm to your skin. So I leave this step upon you.
If you think you do not need sunscreen, after moisturiser you are all set to put your makeup on (if you do so) and go out or you can do that after applying a sunscreen.
- Makeup removing– Remove makeup if you have any. Makeup remover and cleanser are often confused, makeup remover removes the makeup and cleanser cleanse the pores. So you should always start with makeup removal.
- Cleansing– Cleansing your face is the most important step. Now after all days’ pollution, dirt & oil, it’s time to clear those pores.
- Toning– Night time is the best time to use some toner on your face. Sometimes cleansing also leaves some dirt & oil stuck in the pores, this can cause acne breakouts. So people with oily or combination skin type or people with acne prone skin should use toner as their night time skincare routine as toner not only cleanse the skin but also maintains the PH balance of the skin.
- Moisturizing– Applying moisturiser in the night will give you hydrated, radiant skin in the morning & also it will enhance the functioning of the stratum corneum, the uppermost layer of skin. This will make your skin ready for next day.
Weekend routine of skincare (or once in a week)
Exfoliation and face mask are the two steps which will be your once in a week skincare routine.
- Exfoliation– It is a process of removing dead skin cells from you face by scrubbing. Some experts say it is okay to do exfoliation every day and some say excessive exfoliation can make your skin red, sensitive or dry. In my opinion, exfoliating once in a week will be enough as it will save some time on busy days and also will not affect your skin adversely. Exfoliation should be done after cleansing and before toning.
- Face mask– Face mask should be used as an answer to your skin concerns. It can be for deep cleansing, for relaxation, hydrating skin or skin glowing. Depending upon the type of mask its position is skincare routine changes.
This can be your weekly skincare routine along with some lifestyle changes (if you need to do) should help you get flawless glowing skin.
Before I say goodbye, there are few points you should always remember-
- There are so many new techniques and products are available in the market, but I think when it comes to skin, ‘Less is more’.
- Always opt for good quality products, never compromise on quality.
- Patience is the key- some people will see changes immediately and it will take more time in some cases
- And most importantly- every person is unique so their skin problems, suitable solutions for those problems can also be unique.
Let me know if these tips help you improve your skin quality. Also comment if you have figured out any unique solution when it comes to skincare.